Friday 22 March 2024

Algal bloom

 A jar I was unsuccessfully trying to set for cladocerans suddenly developed a decidedly cloudy appearance. Thinking bacteria, I left it alone with the intent of doing a water change. Today I thought, Hmmmm, I own a microscope, why not take a look. Why not indeed! I took a small sample and put it in the centrifuge for about 5 minutes at 800 RPM. The results were not really what I expected but on reflection, not surprising.
 

I found a couple of algae from the Genus Monoraphidium and a couple of others I wasn't sure of.
 
Genus Monoraphidium, idividuals are 14-21 um long



Monoraphidium contortum, straight line length between tips is 18.4 um


A few unidentified ones , small ones about 7um long and the raft of 4 about 10um long


Genus Scenedesmus, 27 um long

Unknown algae


No comments:

Post a Comment