Wednesday 1 May 2013

Rotifer video and other odds and sods


The yard is again blanketed in snow, temperatures near freezing and I'm questioning why my father chose to stop here on his way to settle in the Gulf Islands. Although I remain dubious, some are suggesting summer may actually arrive this year. At least I had the foresight to gather some specimens after a too short balmy interlude. So let's take a look at what my intrusion into the freezing waters of a roadside ditch actually uncovered. No image because it was zooming but I saw my first Gastrotrich. Pretty cool little creature and very distinctive. And a bunch of other stuff!



This appears to be an ostracod, a bi-valve that feeds on detritus...at least that's where I found them. I saw a number of different sizes but they all seemed to look alike. I found one "dead" individual but it seemed just like an empty shell with the outline of the innards inside. Although it seems unlikely, I wonder if they molt? Then again, that would account for all the different sizes.





I saw only a few diatoms but I think this is a new one to me...not the usual pennate diatoms.









This might be a type of flagellate colony and unfortunately I couldn't see any detail beyond what is shown in the image. What I did observe was that water was being pulled towards it, very similar to what a rotifer or vorticella might do. The whole bunch was only about 10 microns across.





A ciliate, possibly a hypotrich but I may be getting beyond my abilities here. Kind of neat anyway and a new one for me. :)












Another ciliate, again possibly a hypotrich. Again, I may be wrong.









Not sure what I have here, perhaps a flagellate or a planktonic alga, perhaps a Micractinium. Or perhaps not.








No idea here but it did look different.








I think I've seen one of these before but am still as unsure as I was before about its identity.





A couple of flagellates that were swimming around rather slowly may be Euglena.






Another unknown ciliate, perhaps another hypotrich. There appear to be cirri, fused cilia that act as one unit, both anteriorly and posteriorly. Are these last two utterances even words?

1 comment: