Tuesday 30 April 2013

Cyclopian garment change...

Cyclops reluctantly assumed a side pose for the camera


Spring has made a tentative approach but is in steady retreat again...temps are heading down to freezing again later today. The warm weather of the last few days did however open a ditch along my property and I've finally got a whole bunch of stuff to examine. Cyclops, ostracods, and a whole bunch of different ciliates with many rotifers among them. My technique, if I can call it that, was to open a jar at the bottom of the ditch, right above the sediment. Doing this allowed a bunch of water to rush into the container bringing everything within a few inches into it, including some debris. back at the microscope, one micro-event did stand out. As I was examining one of the copepods, it started to molt and in just a few seconds it was out of it's old skin and motoring away. Luckily, I had been taking pictures and I got a couple of, well, mediocre images that show what happened. I wonder if the event was serendipitous or the molt was brought on by the pressure of the cover glass?

Bubble on upper back shows where old skin has started bunching up

Discarded skin on left, newly clothed cyclops on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment