Friday 19 April 2013

Visiting with my Higher Power



I've got some of that high viscosity, RI 1.515 immersion oil, a 1.4 NA condenser, lens cleaning tissue, a Ph3 100X/1.3 Neofluar oil objective and the desire to experience something I haven't done before. In my excitement I forgot to set up Koehler illumination and in the end just moved the condenser and field iris around until I had something that resembles even illumination. I know you purists out there are just shuttering now but this is the way hobbyists often do things. I'll try to get it right next time.

First time out I just oiled the cover slip but couldn't find anything in the field. I went back to my 40X and sure enough, loads of micro-denizens but again my 100X couldn't find them. I regrouped, got out a new slide, put on a new drop of micro-critters and new cover slip and headed back. This time I centered a specimen with the 40 power objective first and then added oil to cover slip and condenser lens. When I rolled the 100X into place I saw a dark spot. After carefully fiddling with the fine focus I finally had an image and short lateral stroll down the slide delivered my first diatom. Wow! This view is definitely worth getting oil all over my microscope. Detail that was only hinted at before revealed itself with a clarity that was truly astounding. The only downside is the reduced depth of field; a price I'm willing to pay. I'll be reaching for that 100 power much more frequently now, especially once I fix up my camera issues. I'll attach a few photos and again apologize for the lack of crispness and focus but it is what it is for now.

The diatoms were about 50 microns long (I think) and viewed at 2000 power. I know, lots of empty magnification but I was after bling not doing research. After I settle down a bit I'll start doing things right again. All images were taken with phase contrast illumination.

Unknown diatom

Unknown diatom
Diatom frustule (Silica shell of dead diatom)

Unknown diatom

Filamentous Algae with bacteria (black spots)



No comments:

Post a Comment